Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So I have a new approach for the Disney volunteers. It has been pointed out to me by a few sources that it's pretty useless to build new gardens that have no interested people to take care of them... seems obvious, right?? When you're kind of removed from them like I am, you often forget these things. Yet another reason for good communication!!
So here's the new approach. I am not simply looking for land donations, but for groups of people who are serious about starting a community garden in their neighborhood (This is also important... the garden should be very accessible by those who use it.) with prospects for land. We can then set a date and then hook you up with however many volunteers you need. We have already gotten such an overwhelming response from Disney volunteers that we need to be smarter in the future... and make sure we know what's actually needed before we advertise for volunteers!
I am also grateful there are people to point out my mistakes! In a perfect world (from my position's point of view), EVERY garden plot would have an owner and EVERY person would be excited about starting one. I've had to take a step back and look at my work realistically, and all of the things I would like to do will not be accomplished this growing season. And that's all right! You have to start somewhere.
I'm starting out by helping BUGS (Boise Urban Garden School) as much as I can. This growing season there's going to be a new garden at Taft Elementary School. This is absolutely thrilling! What better way to learn about science than to dig around in the dirt? And what better way to get kids to learn about nutrition and eating healthy right from the start? Personally, I would like to see Idaho littered with school gardens, but again... this is not something that I can accomplish this year. Maybe that's what the future brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment