Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I feel as though I've been away from this blog for a while... I went to New Mexico just for a few days with my mother. We got our fill of adobe buildings, mexican food, and mission churches. Unfortunately, however, I was just recovering from a cold and so was she... which meant, by a cruel twist of fate, that I caught the tail end of her cold and came home sicker than when I left.

Thankfully, I'm feeling much better now. The timing is perfect, because things are staring to pick up around here. I met yesterday with Molly Shaver, who coordinates the Boise branch of Sharing Backyards. Due to the similar nature of our work, it seems only natural that we should work together. We sat down yesterday morning over a cup of coffee at the Flying M and hashed out some ideas. As the season goes into full swing, I really look forward to seeing what we can accomplish together! What a perfect way to database land for community gardens, and an easy way to show people where there is available space!

In other news, I'm speaking very briefly next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday as part of some sustainable living classes through Community Education (the Boise School District). These classes, aimed at educating Boise folks how to live more sustainable lives, are taught by a fellow Americorps VISTA, Sam Fox. He works for PCEI through the Boise WaterShed Association here in town. I'll have my powerpoint at hand, and hopefully can convince a few people that community gardening is where it's at.

Last week, I was contacted by a farmer from Horseshoe Bend who has some unused land. She's offering it for community garden use, which is fantastic. After some exchanging of e-mails, it's my hope that the Horseshoe Bend Community Pantry, who works in conjunction with Trinity Community Gardens of Nampa, can use this land. They've expressed interest in the property, and they seem confident that they can find volunteers in their area. Of course, I can hopefully help with this if they need it.

I am so excited to see these gardens popping up, and the interest that people are showing! First at Taft Elementary, then in the Northend, now in Horseshoe Bend. As I've said many a time, I would love to see cared-for, happy gardens in every neighborhood. Everyone deserves access to fresh food. Even better if you can take care of yourself!

I should start work on the webpage this week, or at the latest next week. As it's my first year here, I had no idea how hectic the holiday season would actually be... what with food drives, events, and inevitable complications. With our holiday party on January 22, I could feel the whole room breathe some kind of collective sigh of relief. On that note, please keep in mind that if someone is hungry at Thanksgiving and Christmas, they are probably hungry the whole year. We are always in need of food.

In my small way, perhaps I can help. Let's hope that 2010 is the year of self-sufficiency and community gardens in Idaho!

No comments:

Post a Comment